Thursday, March 4, 2010

Redux: LFG from Ipanema

Update...I'll be attending LFG's school play tomorrow night....Jack and the Beanstalk. I'm always among the proudest parents on the front row-an ever growing source of embarrassment for LFG but that's another post...if I can ever muster enough creative energy to craft an original one. Maybe this weekend-but till then.....


Yesterday was sublime. End of school year activities are the norm right now including the LFG Recorder Concert at her school. So, I head over to school after lunch-I’m thinking we’ll congregate and watch these little cuties deliver an ear screeching rendition of Rootie Tootie Taxi, Twinkle Twinkle etc. while proud parents ooh and ahh and flash pics. The pic flashing and the oohs and ahhs were de riguer but the playlist-surprising .

Keep in mind that these little folks learn the Recorder as a precursor-a set up for selecting a more advanced instrument next year. I think LFG wants to play the flute. Some of these kids are better at the Recorder than others but in the end, it’s still pretty simple music-pretty basic stuff. Ok, ok…I know that I’m losing you here.

LFG saying a few words, including an apology for her dad dressing like a preppy homeless man.
The teacher announces the first song after praising this group of woodwind devotees. First up…The Girl from Ipanema. Who’d a thunk it? Next up….Tick Tock People by the Vaughn Brothers.

I don’t remember the few after that. I was still doing the inner chuckle over these little charges swaying back and forth while doing decent homage to Tom Jobim’s classic bossa novasong.

The little clog girls...patiently watching big brother or sister. Love that hair. This little curly would fit right in on Ipanema or Copocabana.

Post concert relief
So what does a dad wear to the concert? My Johnny Guitar Watson jumpsuit is on back order or I would have busted out in that rig. My new patch madras sportcoat is in surgery-getting as Toad aptly characterized the process-“the Jos.A.Bank out of it.” So….I show up in Belgians sans socks. A pair of Polo linen trousers that should have been tossed out 10 years ago. I can't let 'em go. The cuffs have long since fallen off...it's a frayed-afraid assembleage on the south end of this rig. Stunning I know. Shut up. I know you'd expect a Jethro Bodine rope belt to go with these trousers.Not here though. We conjured up a Ralph Madras D-ringer for this one. Saddled with a Brothers Brooks end on end b.d. No ascot.
And of course, the Flusser navy linen blazer. Open patch breast pocket with linen striped hank and a visitor pass.

The Girl from Ipanema has been done by so many artists that it's hard to select just one. However, for your listening and viewing pleasure, I've included Jobim and Sinatra. Sinatra was the bomb. You'll notice a couple of times that he picks tobacco off his lip-he's enjoying a filterless cig during the song. The Stan Getz collaboration is also an inextricable thread that runs through the popularity of bossa nova in the States

Onward.



13 comments:

tintin said...

That Frank even attempted Girl from Ipanema is a musical tragedy that borders on farce. It's hysterical and not in a good way.

M.Lane said...

TGFI was the first song I can recall hearing and thinking "man I love that song".

ML
mlanesepic.blogspot.com

James said...

Damn,its a cliche I know, but they really don't make them like Sinatra anymore. Both child and clothes were outstanding.

LPC said...

I hope that for you sake LFG has not graduated to the saxophone. Dear lord that instrument can honk when played by young 'uns...

JMW said...

She is so adorable! Glad to hear the kids are mixing it up a bit with the recorder selection. I see many of those concerts in my future. And, I'm sure you were the best dressed dad there!

ADG said...

Tintin...yep. But he's still Frank.

M.Lane....it's a classic.

James...thanks.

LPC...She graduated to the Clarinet which has been almost as "honky-squeaky" as a sax.

JMW...Thanks. It's all fun!

Sandra said...

Yay for music teachers like hers!! Great daughter and great outfit from dad. I bet all her little friends just love you! Flute is very chic. :-)

Anonymous said...

Out of context/off topic, but this won't be wasted on you..........

blog.leffot.com
Specifically, the 16 Feb 10 post.

Did you spot that sweet Greenwich boot in Sunday's NYT "The Moment" feature ?

Gail, in northern California said...

I know it seems impossible now but sometimes dad provides a lifeline..."Can I go to so-and-so's party" "No." "But why? "Because the parents aren't going to be home." Slam! goes the bedroom door.

But deep-down (not always of course, that would be too easy), she's thankful. She knows the party spelled trouble, was too afraid to say "no" herself and now you've provided the perfect excuse: "My dad won't let me."

I have a drop-dead gorgeous 16 year old granddaughter who just got her driver's license. Green eyes, long dark brown hair and legs that seem to start at her shoulders. I swear my son has aged 10 years overnight.

Can't wait to hear about your little golden-haired girl's "Jack in the Beanstalk" play. Look forward to pictures, even bad pictures. Hang in there, dad.

ADG said...

Gail...that bought tears to my eyes. Thanks. Couldn't have come at a better time. You have no idea. On the other hand-I think that you do.

tintin said...

Sinatra singing Jobim is like Jerry Lewis singing Bob Dylan which you can see here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlZsOfCOxek&NR=1

The Uppity Puppy said...

LFG is the luckiest girl in the world to have a daddy like you. Never, ever stop being what you are right now. Sorry for the sap, it just hits close to home...on the range..

ADG said...

VogueRanger...thanks! I'm luckier than LFG for certain. Picking her up this afternoon for a week of frolic. Hope all is well with you.